Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day


In honor of Valentine's Day, I am posting two poems by Sappho, who is regarded as one of the earliest female poets (and even though all that remains are fragments, they are among some of the most beautiful lyric poems of all time).


The Anactoria Poem
by Sappho, Translated by Jim Powell

Some say thronging cavalry, some say foot soldiers,
others call a fleet the most beautiful of
sights the dark earth offers, but I say it's what-
ever you love best.
And it's easy to make this understood by
everyone, for she who surpassed all human
kind in beauty, Helen, abandoning her
husband--that best of
men--went sailing off to the shores of Troy and
never spent a thought on her child or loving
parents: when the goddess seduced her wits and
left her to wander,
she forgot them all, she could not remember
anything but longing, and lightly straying
aside, lost her way. But that reminds me
now: Anactória,
she's not here, and I'd rather see her lovely
step, her sparkling glance and her face than gaze on
all the troops in Lydia in their chariots and
glittering armor.


Sappho Poem 1 (fragment)
translated by Robin Mitchell-Boyask

He seems to me like the gods --that man whoever facing you
sits and nearby hears your sweet voice

and lovely laughter, which makes my
heart flutter in my breast;
if I glance at you, how
my tongue can't speak

anymore but is pained, fine
fire flickers beneath my skin,
your vision not in my eyes,
my ears abuzz,

then cold sweat drips down me, trembling
captures me completely, greener than grass
am I, to die too weak
I seem to be to myself.

But all is dared and endured....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home