Friday, February 17, 2006

Stupid Girls

Admittedly, I am a fair-weather fan of the singer Pink. Nevertheless, her latest song and video, "Stupid Girls" caught my attention, and I have to say that I like it. The ending scenes of the video, where she mimics Paris Hilton's infamous sex tape, are hysterical. And Pink's imitation of Jessica Simpson's writhing car wash routine from Jessica's "These Boots Were Made for Walking" video is almost as awkward as the real thing--the only difference is that Pink intentionally looks awkward, while Jessica's awkwardness was simply a result of trying too hard to be sexy.

My one concern is that Pink seems to cast being an ambitious girl (vs. being a "stupid girl") in terms of the masculine (e.g., the choice being between a football--a traditionally male symbol--and dolls--a traditionally female symbol). I take issue with the idea that women need to surrender their feminity in order to be ambitious, intelligent, and successful.

You can check out the humorous vid here:
http://search.music.yahoo.com/search/?m=video&p=stupid+girls

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home