Monday, February 20, 2006

Angry

On Friday night, I was attending a dance class at my university's gym. Like everyone else, I filed into the room in my regular dress clothes (we didn't need to wear special gym clothes) and put my purse, bookbag, and coat in one of the cubby holes in the back of the class for the two-hour session. At the end of the class, everything was in my cubby hole as I had left it. Everything except for my purse.

Someone had stolen my purse. I am so angry I cannot begin to explain how upset I am. I am now without any access to cash (and today being President's Day means that I have to wait even longer to go to the bank, the DMV, etc.), a cell phone, my driver's license, my school ID, all of my credit/charge cards, my wallet, and the 90,000 personal items I stowed in my purse that were all of my go-to things: My go-to brush, my go-to concealer, my go-to pen, my go-to lip gloss, etc. In truth, there had to have been at least $60 worth of makeup in that bag, and probably more. My belief is that my purse was stolen--in stead of anyone else's--because it was a large, beautiful expensive black leather Coach purse. It cost almost $300.

All of this may seem so insignificant, but it really isn't. The cost of replacing everything in that purse--not even the purse itself--is quite a lot. I'll have to pay a fee to get my new license, pay to get a new school ID, pay for a new wallet, pay to replace all the cosmetics in the bag (that I use everyday and actually do need), pay to replace the prescriptions in my bag, pay to get a new cell phone, not to mention the cash that was lost and the subway tokens that I had stashed in it.

I've been calling Equifax to put a fraud alert on my credit file, calling each company to report a stolen card, calling my cell phone company to suspend my account and figure out what to do next since all of my resumes for summer employment have my cell phone as my contact, calling my friends to explain why they cannot get in touch with me.

Each day I think of some new area of my life that this affects, or something that was in my purse that I forgot and that I need to replace. Just now I realized that I had my insurance card in my purse and that I'll need to replace that as well.

I am so angry. Angry that someone would steal my purse just because she wanted it. Angry that someone would put me through all of this extra cost--not to mention all the extra time I'll have to spend replacing everything on lines at the DMV and school ID places and on the telephone. All for a purse.

It really boggles my mind that people are like this. That people are so selfish, so self-serving that they will take something from someone else--while they are in the same room as that person--just because they feel like it. I really tire of hearing the same old excuses in my liberal law school justifying criminal behavior. I don't want to hear any excuses. There are sometimes when things really are this black-and-white. Stealing is wrong. Being selfish is wrong. The person who stole my purse didn't need it. She wanted it. And that was all that she cared about.

I am so angry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather B said...

Oh man, I feel for you. You are right, the girl just saw a nice Coach - wanted it - and took it. People never fail to amaze me.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home