Thursday, March 02, 2006

SAHM and Latchkey Kids

During what has become quite possibly the week from hell (or shall I say two weeks of hell?), I came across this post at Dooce discussing the pros and cons of being a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM) or a working mom with the latchkey kids. I am hesitant to write too much about my own mother, who was herself a SAHM, because I don't think she'd appreciate me writing her business all over the net. But I am intrigued by the discussion (and wow--the over 1500 comments).

I loved having my mom there when I came home from school. Our house was always immaculate, the pantry was always stocked with goodies, my brothers and I could participate in any activities we wanted because she was always there to drive us, and sometimes we'd come home from school and there would be special treats waiting for us (an expensive snack on sale at the local Kroger or a new outfit she picked up while shopping). But more than all the more superficial advantages, it was just really comforting to come home from school and have her there to talk to.

As a law student, I keep oscillating back and forth with the kids question. By the time that I graduate, I will be in my late twenties, and then I will have to work a few years to establish myself and gain experience. Then I would like to try more than one job, I think--and I don't see having kids being possible career-wise or financially until I am in my early thirties. And that's with me working (ah, law school loans!). There's a part of me that would love to have children and give them what my parents gave me: the ability to have access to my mom 24/7, wheneverI needed. But then I cannot help but think: What was the point of all my hard work in college, at my previous job, and now in law school?

I remember one man I dated a few years ago telling me about women in his law firm. Apparently the men loved that the firm hired so many women, because by the time that they were ready to be considered for partnerships, so many women had left to have children that the field of competition was pretty slim. Most of the men became partners; most of the women became mommies. Hearing his snide recitation of this harsh reality made me decide on the spot that I didn't want to abandon my career for children as soon as all my hard work in school was about to pay off.

But this is me talking now. I know that as my parents age and my friends start their families, my biological clock and maternal urge are going to kick in. I just don't know what to do then.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My suggestion would be to work part-time that way you stay in touch with the real world, but you still have time for your family. I also think your family will appreciate you working. It will make you more sane for those three o'clock chats (sometimes I had wish my mom worked more). As far as I am concerned loving one's family is by far the most important priority. My goal is to be in a position where I can work 30 - 45 hours a week and have an extremely flexible scheduale. Good thing that your pursuit of law allows you to have many different options as far as types of jobs go. I believe the key is to not get caught up in the bullshit, and 90% of life is bullshit.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi K e,

Why would I want to give 100 people like you, F*ree access to my $97 value life changing product? Because I am launching my new product and need social proof of it's ability to make money, even for newbies to the internet.

Hurry over and get your copy NOW before this unique time limited promotional offer is withdrawn.

Yours in Success
Buddy

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ohydozar.kogaryu.com/tygobymu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real income.
It's all about how to select a correct companion who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home